Saturday 2 March 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 55

My quilting progress has been limited this week, but I do have a finish to share.  Using my travel time on the train I have been working on Block 55 of my Nearly Insane quilt. It's amazing how much you can get done on just a short journey, but with these little pieces, one false move and they could be travelling the length of the country!
English Paper Piecing on the train
English Paper Piecing on the train
Its a quirky little block, and I quite like it, and I have learnt a few techniques and ideas which will be useful for future blocks. 
Block 55 Nearly Insane Quilt Red and White
Block 55 Nearly Insane Quilt
Overall this block was not too difficult. Extra care was needed to make sure all the right pieces were in the right place. The striped pieces are asymmetrical, so you need to make sure you have got them the correct way around (I know because I had to unpick one!). Also, remembering that the blocks will be on point, I need to take extra care when cutting any directional fabric, to make sure everything is pointing in the right direction - my hearts seem to be all a flutter on this one.
Block 55 Nearly Insane - English Paper Piecing
Block 55 Nearly Insane - English Paper Piecing
I know that some future blocks are going to have over three times as many pieces as this block, but I think Block 55 is fairly unique in that the majority of the 46 pieces are all slightly different sizes.  To manage this, I numbered all the papers AND all the pieces of fabric, and for further control I used my Clover Wonder Clips to keep certain groups together.  BTW, I also noticed this week on the Keepsake Quilting website, that Clover are now making these clips in JUMBO SIZE.

Clover Wonder Clips English Paper Piecing
Clover Wonder Clips
So that block marks the completion of the ones chosen in my first draw. Having done this first set, I have had time to think about how to combine my fabrics on forthcoming blocks.  I have also put some thought to the border, sashing and cornerstones. On the side bar there is a thumbnail of the quilt, created in Electric Quilt 5 software, which shows my progress so far.

NUMBER OF PIECES: 46
DIFFICULTY: 3/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Square, 1/2" (7.5mm) x 1/2" (7.5mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Triangle, 1.5" (42mm) x 1.5" (42mm) x 2 5/16" (59m)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: Apple Red Text on Cream (#5490) "Mama Said Sew" Collection by Sweetwater for Moda
Songbird (C2863) by Carina Gardner for Riley Blake Designs
Hearts on Red (567-R5) Makower
Red Dots on White Fabric (Unidentified)
Scattered Red Stars on White (Unidentified)
Red and White Stripe (unidentified)

Celebrating this finish at Crazy Mom Quilts

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Great ideas on keeping organized. I saw the jumbo wonder clips at the big show I went to last week, but I didn't get any. I can't believe that there will be blocks with 3x as many pieces as this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reds and whites/creams look beautiful together. After scrolling through previous posts, I can see why this quilt has the title, "Nearly Insane." You will feel like you've really accomplished something big when you finish it! I think it's wonderful that you're keeping track of your progress and sharing it with the rest of us. I don't know if I'll ever English Paper Piece, but it's interesting seeing how you do it. And I'll know where to come for help if I do begin an EPP project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I'm not sure I could even attempt something like this! It is amazing and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looking at it makes me nearly insane!
    I admire your perseverence and skill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really enjoying your project and am in awe of your patience and ability to work on these. Mine would be a UFO midway through my 1st block ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree #55 is a stunner. Can't hardly believe the other blocks will have more pieces...

    ReplyDelete